Minimize termination liability and cost while complying with legislation. This seminar equips you with the tools you need to successfully administer, supervise and oversee a termination of employment – including employment/labour standards, human resources issues, types of payments, retiring allowances and the Record of Employment.
Take-homes include exercises, a terminations calculator, and terminations checklist
For many payroll professionals, the terminations process can be complex. The CPA's Terminations seminar provides you with the tools you need to accurately and confidently administer, supervise and oversee the termination of the employment process. It includes a comprehensive overview of recommended steps, processes and procedures to minimize termination liability and costs as well as legislative requirements for payments upon termination.
This one-day seminar provides you with the tools you need to successfully administer, supervise and oversee a termination of employment.
How to access your session:
You will be sent the information on how to access your online seminar three business days before the live event. If you do not receive the login information three days before the seminar, check your email SPAM folder. If it's not there, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
!! IMPORTANT !!
Sound for this online session is streamed directly through your computer or electronic device. Participants will not be provided with a dial-in number.
Please test check your system BEFORE you register. Make sure you are connected via your local desktop (not through your company’s server) to perform this test and view the future presentation. Click here to test your system and for troubleshooting tips.
- Overview of current federal and provincial standards related to terminations
- Reducing your organization's liability and costs related to employment terminations by meeting the standards
Human Resources Issues
- Employee-initiated vs. employer-initiated terminations
- How to spot constructive dismissal, just cause
- What is considered reasonable notice under common law?
- Why the need for termination policies?
- Avoiding poor termination techniques
- Understanding the impact of a termination on colleagues
- Dealing with progressive discipline
- Sample termination checklist and recent case law examples
Payments on Termination
- Lieu of notice
- Vacation pay
- Year end reporting
- Pension and group benefits issues
- Employment relationship
- Salary continuance versus retiring allowance
- Request for ruling
- Tax withholdings and transfers
Record of Employment
- When to issue
- How to's of completion
- How to avoid common errors
- ROE Web
Please note that after registering online for this event, you will receive an email confirmation that confirms your registration. Confirmation emails are sent approximately within 2 business days after the registration has been processed.
Three business days before the live event, you will be sent the link to access the online PD seminar on the scheduled day.
Also, detailed instructions on accessing the online PD seminar will be emailed to you the day before the event.
Cancellations or Transfers: requests must be received in writing at least four (4) business days prior to the online seminar date. Please note a cancellation fee or transfer fee in the amount of $50 plus applicable taxes will be applied. Cancellation or transfer requests received after the login information has been provided are not eligible for a transfer or refund.