Learning Payroll I provides an introduction to the payroll function. Learn about establishing the employee-employer relationship, hiring a new employee, employment standards requirements, taxable benefits and allowances along with the payroll practitioner's key role in withholding statutory deductions from employment income.
This full-day seminar provides opportunities to ask questions, network with other professionals, and learn from best practice examples. Valuable take home materials include Setting-up A New Payroll Checklist and Learning Payroll I printed material.
The first-step in payroll
Learning Payroll I is ideal for:
- New staff with no or limited exposure to payroll and junior payroll staff
- Practitioners returning to the payroll field
- Other professionals who have functional responsibility for payroll (bookkeepers, accountants, and HR professionals)
- Suppliers providing payroll services to corporate customers.
Key Learning Outcomes:
- Identify concepts of the roles and responsibilities of payroll compliance
- Identify whether a worker is an employee or independent contractor
- Describe basic employment standards
- Recognize common taxable benefits and allowances
- Understand the basic concepts of payroll deductions
- Calculate manually to produce a net pay
!! IMPORTANT !!
Sound for this online session is streamed directly through your computer or electronic device. Participants will not be provided with a dial-in number.
Please test check your system BEFORE you register. Make sure you are connected via your local desktop (not through your company’s server) to perform this test and view the future presentation. Click here to test your system and for troubleshooting tips.
- Defining payroll
- Roles and responsibilities
- Earnings and deductions
- Methods of payment
- Controls and security
- Employer-Employee Relationship
- Employee-employer relationship
- Hiring an employee
- Employment/Labour Standards
- Minimum wage
- Pay frequency
- Pay statement
- Hours of work
- Rest periods
- Statutory holidays
- Vacation pay and time
- Taxable Benefits and Allowances
- Accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D)
- Group term life insurance premiums
- Private health care/insurance plan (Quebec only)
- Registered retirement savings plan
- Gift and awards
- Automobile allowance
- Meal allowance (overtime)
- Uniforms and special clothing
- Producing a Regular Pay
- Gross earnings
- Insurable earnings
- Pensionable earnings
- Net Taxable Income
- Statutory deductions
- Calculating the net pay
Please note that after registering online for this event, you will receive an email confirmation that confirms your registration. Confirmation emails are sent approximately within 2 business days after the registration has been processed.
Three business days before the live event, you will be sent the link to access the online PD seminar on the scheduled day.
Cancellations or Transfers: requests must be received in writing at least four (4) business days prior to the online seminar date. Please note a cancellation fee or transfer fee in the amount of $50 plus applicable taxes will be applied. Cancellation or transfer requests received after the login information has been provided are not eligible for a transfer or refund.