Learn the information necessary to maintain compliance in every state you pay employees. This seminar covers state income tax withholding issues, out-of-state child support withholding orders, residency determinations, fringe benefits issues and much more.
When processing payroll in multiple states, differences in state laws and regulations present unique challenges to professionals responsible for compliance. Payroll Issues for Multi-State Employers provides the information necessary to maintain compliance in every state in which you pay employees. This intensive, one-day course covers state income tax withholding issues, out-of-state child support withholding orders, residency determinations, fringe benefits issues, and much more.
This seminar is presented with the cooperation of THE AMERICAN PAYROLL ASSOCIATION.
Answers These & Other Tough Multi-State Questions:
- When an employee works in more than one state, to which state(s) should income tax and unemployment insurance tax be paid?
- When an employee doesn't cash their paycheck where are the unclaimed wages reported?
- When an employee's employment relationship ends, how quickly must they be paid?
- Could an employee who telecommutes be subject to the income tax of two states?
- Which states now allow employers to mandate direct deposit or payment by debit card?
- What are the state requirements for call-in time?
Regulations on paying the employee
- Pay frequency requirements
- Timing of payment at termination
- Penalties for noncompliance
- Methods allowed for wage payment
- Direct deposit
- Payroll cards
- Pay statement requirements
- Electronic pay statements
- Abandoned wage (escheat) laws
- Wages owed deceased employees
Wage and hour issues
- State vs. federal occupation exemptions
- State vs. federal white collar exemptions
- Minimum wage laws
- State overtime requirements
- Teenage employees: maximum allowable hours
Who Should Attend?
Payroll professionals, human resources, systems, accounting, and tax professionals who work for organizations with employees in more than one state.
Your registration includes: seminar presentation, course reference manual and handouts, exercises with answers, continental breakfast, lunch and refreshments for all breaks.
Dress code is business casual. Please dress in layers to accommodate temperature fluctuations.
CANCELLATIONS OR SEMINAR TRANSFER: Requests must be received in writing at least five (5) business days prior to the seminar date. Please note a cancellation fee or transfer fee in the amount of $50 plus applicable taxes per day/per registrant for all sessions cancelled or transferred will apply. Cancellation or transfer requests received less than 5 business days prior to the seminar date are not eligible for transfer or refund.
FOR ANY QUESTIONS or concerns regarding this registration, please contact member services at firstname.lastname@example.org